A mixture of two feldspar minerals, moonstone truly glow thanks to a phenomenon that makes the light appear to move across the gemstone. Their delicate beauty captivates wearers and both Geminis and Cancers can find a nice selection of moonstone jewelry to add to their birthday wishlist. To help celebrate this “out of this world” birthstone, we’ve rounded up a few fun facts about moonstone and some new arrivals to Borsheims.com for gifting inspiration.
- Moonstone is most often found in luminous blue tones but can also come in hues of yellow, gray, pink, peach and cream.
- It is related to labradorite, a gemstone sometimes incorrectly referred to as “rainbow moonstone”.
- It is the gemstone associated with third wedding anniversaries.
- Moonstone is thought to inspire passion, creativity and direction in its wearer’s life.
- Moonstone is mined in Madagascar, Australia, Brazil, Sri Lanka, Mexico, Germany, Switzerland and India. The colorful versions of moonstone are only found in India while the other countries only contribute white moonstone.
- This gemstone is used in Ayurvedic medicine and other crystal healing methods primarily practiced in India.
- Moonstone is the gemstone of Florida to honor the Kennedy Space Center and NASA’s achievements.
- Moonstone is adularescent and has a rippling blue light that appears when you revolve the moonstone near a source of light.
- Perhaps the most captivating aspect of adularescence is its appearance of motion. The misty light seems to roll across the gem’s surface as you change the viewing angle.
Browse below for necklaces, rings and bracelets sure to put a smile on any June babies’ face.